Half-Day Introduction to HPDE
If you are unsure if a full 2-day High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) weekend is for you, but would like to sample the HPDE experience to find out more, we also offer a “DE Lite” version of the weekend HPDE, a Half-Day Introduction to HPDE (HDI-HPDE) (typically) on Sunday run as a sub event within the 2-day HPDE event (typically at the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course in the Fall). This introduction consists of three (3) segments replicated from the beginning portion of the full 2-day HPDE program:
- A classroom session in the late morning on Sunday introducing you to how HPDEs are run to have safe fun. (You will need to be at the track 30-mimutes prior to classroom session to register, sign waivers, and locate classroom. Registration and Classroom are mandatory.)
- An optional lead-follow touring lap session (run at safe highway speeds without passing) with you driving your car on track during the Sunday lunch break of the primary HPDE event.
- An optional early afternoon run group on track orientation session in which a few orientation laps are run at modest HPDE pace, in your a DE-Lite run group session, with you riding shotgun (wearing helmet*) in your HDI-HPDE Instructor’s car driven by your HDI-HPDE Instructor.
This program consists of similar introductory classroom instruction and the introductory orientation track laps a beginner (D – Green) student in a full 2-day HPDE run group would receive, but then it concludes hopefully with you wanting more! We then encourage you to register for the next full 2-day program at our next HPDE event weekend.
DE-Lite Event Schedule on Sunday subject to change.
If you would rather just start with the full 2-day HPDE event, even if you are a a first timer to HPDE, you can learn more and find a link to register for the full 2-day event at the MOR Web Site” or at Club Registration Web Site and search for Mid-Ohio region events.
- *Instructor driven orientation (you riding shotgun) run group session REQUIRES you wear a helmet. MORPCA has some loaner helmets available for this purpose, but in limited numbers and sizes. If you do not reserve a helmet in your size with MORPCA, you will need to borrow one (typically from an HPDE driver at the event that you know – and one that fits).
- It is NOT necessary to have your car Tech’d for the HDI-HPDE (DE-Lite) registration (that requirement is for 2-day HPDE run groups).
- Closed toe shoes, long pants, and long sleeves as a minimum are for any HPDE on track session (cotton clothing is highly recommended). Read more about HPDE minimum guidelines here: HPDE Guidelines.